Contract Cancellation

All students should note that once the contract term begins, all students holding contracts are considered residents. All residents granted a contract cancellation shall be held responsible on a pro rata basis for the remaining contract room and meal plan charges as well as the cancellation fees outlined in the Resident Student Handbook. Charges will be assessed on the basis of the criteria outlined in the Resident Student Handbook.

Once the contract period begins, if a student cancels their contract before the end of the contract term, they will be responsible for room & board charges up until the time of check-out plus all the following contract cancellation penalties:

  • Loss of $100 housing deposit
  • $100 cancellation fee
  • Payment of 75% of the remaining contract cost (housing portion only)
  • Forfeit any remaining portion of the meal plan cost for the current semester

If a student would like to cancel their contract, that person must come to the Campus Housing Office to complete the necessary cancellation paperwork.

Contract Takeovers

In the event that Campus Housing does not have applicants waiting to be assigned, or does not have a waiting list for the type of room involved, a resident has the option of identifying a non-resident student who has not already applied for housing to take over his or her contract including (though not necessarily) the assigned space. Such students must meet the eligibility requirements specified in the housing application procedures. No contract can be taken over without the approval of the appropriate Central Housing Office administrator.

Contract takeovers incur a $25 fee and the loss of the security deposit for the original contract holder. No other penalties apply. Failure to go through formal contract takeover procedures could result in disciplinary action as well as substantial financial penalties.


Students may appeal the 75% of the remainder of the contract portion of the contract termination penalties as well as the loss of the meal plan. Students must complete an appeal form available from the Campus Housing office and submit all appropriate documentation relevant to their situation. Once an appeal is submitted, it will be considered by the Associate Director for Administration. The appeal is either granted or forwarded on to the Campus Housing Contract Termination Penalty Appeals Committee. This committee, composed of student affairs staff, residence life staff and resident students, considers the individual situation and decides based on the review of information. Contact the Campus Housing main office (312-355-6300) with questions.