Your Space

Community Development

Campus Housing is committed to the holistic development of its residents living on campus by providing them an educational advantage that provides enrichment to their academic life. It is our goal to contribute to the development of our students in the following learning areas:

  • Experience a Sense of Belonging
  • Gain Cultural Competency by engaging in inclusive communities
  • Exhibit Institutional Pride by attending University events and reporting concerns
  • Develop an understanding of resources in and out of UIC for Life After College
  • Strengthen Life Management skills that prepare students for success
  • Excel Academically by living in the residence halls

Room/Common Area Responsibilities

Room Responsibility

You and your roommate(s) jointly share the responsibility for your room/cluster/suite/apartment. You are responsible for all guests you bring into the building and are expected to properly check them in and out at the front desk of your building. In addition, you are responsible for the condition of furniture, walls, woodwork, doors, telephone jack(s), cable and internet plugs, windows and screens, carpet, appliances, and floors within normal usage. Damage that occurs beyond the limits of normal wear and tear will be charged to you or your roommate(s) accordingly. If you are in a room, apartment, or suite designed for more than one resident, please keep your belongings on your side of the room or bedroom as roommate(s) will be assigned at any time.

Common Area Responsibility

You are responsible for the condition of the common living areas in your building and complex, such as the hallways, elevators, lounges, kitchens, bathrooms, and study areas. Common area damage attributed to vandalism will be determined by the Residence Life and Facilities professional staff and may be billed to the entire floor, hall, or complex if the person(s) responsible cannot be identified. Please be sure to take responsibility for your community by reporting vandalism and those responsible immediately to housing staff. Community bathrooms are required to remain locked at all times. Do not prop doors open at any time, for any reason.

Roommate Agreements

One of the best parts of living in a residential environment is the community you establish with peers and the relationships you cultivate over the years. Sharing part of a living space, bathroom, kitchen, and lounge with another person or many people can be difficult if you do not establish commonly shared and agreed upon guidelines. Your RA will assist you, your roommate(s), and clustermate(s) complete Roommate Agreements, which will assist in setting communal living expectations. These forms are typically completed within the first two weeks of the academic year, or whenever there is a change in occupancy to the space.

We encourage honest and genuine dialogue so that compromise can happen proactively, avoiding later conflict. All members of the space must be present and in agreement. This is an amendable document and can be changed with your RA if it is determined that adjustments will better serve those involved.


Room Condition Report (RCR)

Each resident must complete a Room Condition Report upon checking in to any new space within Campus Housing. When filling out this form, be sure it is complete and accurate, because you assume responsibility for the room condition and University-owned contents upon occupancy. If you do not return a RCR to the Area Residence Life Office or your RA within one week of check-in, we will assume your room, apartment, cluster, and/or suite was damage-free. Any damages noted during check-out will be billed to your student account.

Receiving your Keys

You will be issued keys for your room, building, mailbox, and other areas for which you need access. These keys become your responsibility. For safety and security reasons, keep your keys with you at all times. Remember, your keys are issued to you; no one else should use your keys for entrance to the complex, your room, suite, cluster or apartment. Please, keep your room/bedroom and apartment/cluster/suite doors locked when you leave or are asleep.


Residents are required to go through a formal check-out and room condition review procedure with their RA, using the Room Condition Report or Apartment/Cluster/Suite Condition Report you filled out when you checked in. Charges will subsequently be assessed to you based on repairs or cleaning necessary to return your room/cluster/apartment/suite to its condition when you moved in. To avoid charges, residents should:

  • Properly clean the room, remove and properly dispose of all trash and unwanted personal belongings
  • Rooms should be set up in their original configuration, and all university furnishings must be present and properly assembled; beds should be unbunked
  • All posters, decals, stickers, tape, and other fixtures should be removed from all furniture, doors, windows, walls, ceiling, and other surfaces
  • Switch your heat or air conditioning to “low”, open the blinds, and lock all the windows
  • All of your keys should be returned to the Area Desk, then swipe your ID to confirm your vacancy.

The RA will give you an inspection slip or a copy of your RCR. After all residents have vacated spaces for which you have some shared responsibility, charges may also be assessed to you for your portion of damages/cleaning in these areas.

More information on check-out procedures will be issued by Campus Housing closer to check-out time.

Mail & Packages

You will be assigned a mailbox and mailbox key at the time of check-in and you will share a box with your cluster/roommate(s). Registered mail and packages are held at the desk for you to pick up. You will receive an email notification when you have a package waiting at the desk. You will need your i-Card when claiming your item. Packages will be held for 10 days and then returned to sender if not claimed. Package pick up times are posted at the front desk of your building. Mail is placed directly into the mailbox assigned to each resident. To ensure prompt mail delivery senders should use: full name, current room number and building and the correct mailing address, which can be found at

Campus Housing is unable to have your mail forwarded to a different address due to U.S. Postal Service regulations. Please collect all mail before checking out. Once checked out of the residence halls, mail will be returned to sender. Campus Housing cannot be held responsible for missing mail.

Room Changes

Campus Housing is pleased to offer available spaces to resident students who wish to change rooms and will maintain both a list of available rooms and a file of room change requests in case vacancies occur during the course of the year. In a population of several thousand residents, it is likely that changes will occur throughout the year, and residents are invited to fill out Room Change Requests, listing preferences for alternative room assignments. Such Room Change Requests are available on the Housing Dock at Campus Housing staff will contact students wishing to change rooms as quickly as possible after openings are identified. In addition to maintaining waiting lists for each residence hall, and for any specific type of room available, such as one for single rooms, these waiting lists will be maintained in the order in which requests are made.


Switching Rooms with Same Room Types

Residents who wish to switch rooms with other specific residents will be permitted to make a change at any time, provided that the Central Housing Office has no students on a waiting list for the type of room involved, and that both residents receive proper authorization from the Central Housing Office prior to making such switches. Both residents who are switching with each other must be present in the Central Housing Office at the same time to indicate their desire to make such a switch before it will be approved.


Room Access and Interim Housing During Breaks

Only limited access to room belongings is permitted when the buildings are closed for break. Following the end of the school year, the exterior entrance door locks are changed, providing access only to staff and interim residents and their guests. During break periods, residents are encouraged to remove any valuables from their rooms. Interim housing is available on a limited basis during semester breaks. Information on interim housing availability and rates will be available near the end of each semester. See for exact interim rates. Residents wishing to stay on campus must sign up for interim housing online. Contact the Central Housing Office for specific Interim Housing guidelines.

Maintaining Your Space

Air Conditioning and Heating

All the halls are equipped with air conditioning for your comfort. It is requested that you keep room windows closed when the system is on. We experience a transition period each fall and spring—a period when temperatures fluctuate widely. Once we change from heating to cooling or cooling to heating, it is complicated and costly to change back. We ask for your understanding and consideration during these periods.

Air conditioning and heating unit filter changes are one of the scheduled maintenance items that must be completed at least twice per year. You will be given notice before this procedure takes place.




  • Mini refrigerators are permitted up to 2.9 amps or smaller than 4.6 cubic feet.
  • Coffee pots with an automatic shut off.

Not Permitted (See Also Prohibited Items)

  • Microwaves under 1000 watts are permitted only in SSR and PSR. Otherwise, they are not permitted unless a part of a Microfridge unit (see Microfridge)
  • Appliances with an external heating unit or open flame e.g., hot plates, toasters, space heaters or cooking appliances
  • Power tools of any kind
  • Halogen bulbs


Bed Bugs

If you think you may have bed bugs in your living space, contact a Campus Housing staff member immediately or process a work order via the Campus Housing Dock.

Campus Housing will work with you to immediately schedule an inspection/treatment date (typically within 48 hours) of the space reported and communicate that information to the resident. A Campus Housing staff member will also describe the bed bug procedure to the resident or residents reporting the issue. In cases of reported and confirmed bed bug activity, ALL ROOMS WITHIN THE CLUSTER/SUITE/APARTMENT WILL BE TREATED and ALL RESIDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH TREATMENT PREPARATIONS to ensure that bed bugs do not spread from room to room during the treatment process.

Additionally, due to the fact that bed bugs are excellent hitchhikers, Campus Housing does not relocate students or replace furniture or mattresses in living spaces where bed bugs have been reported. If the room is not prepared by the time of the inspection, each unprepared resident will be charged the cost of the exterminator visit.

After a space has been treated for bed bugs, a follow-up treatment is scheduled for two (2) weeks after the initial treatment date. If further treatment is warranted, the treatment process will be repeated until the space is clear of bed bug activity.


Cleaning and Maintenance

The Building Service Workers (BSWs) are responsible for cleaning public areas of the residence halls on a daily basis. This includes such areas as laundry rooms, recreation rooms, special study sections, lounges, kitchens, and some washrooms (see below). Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms.

Washrooms in Commons South and Commons West are scheduled to be cleaned every weekday; cleaning schedules will be posted for residents. Washrooms in the CTY, CMN, PSR clusters and JST suites should be maintained by the residents of those areas. However, Building Service Workers are scheduled to check the washrooms to re-stock toilet paper in PSR, CMN, CTY & JST. Housekeeping service in SSR, MRH & TBH is limited to public areas. Cleaning schedules for washrooms will be posted.

Neglected, unsanitary, or unclean areas should be reported immediately to your RA or to the Facilities Office (East: Room 25, Lower Level Commons, 5-6520; West: Room 10 Lower Level Single Student Residence, 5-6410; South: TBH first floor facilities office, 5-6111). Private as well as public space should be treated as though it were your own. Help keep it clean and in good repair.

Other services provided by the Facilities Office include: exterminating, window washing and repair of appliances (i.e. kitchen stoves, refrigerators and microwave ovens) in SSR, MRH & TBH apartments, and in lounges throughout all Campus Housing buildings.


Loaner Keys/Lock Out Procedure

If you are locked out of your room when the Front Desk is open, you can sign out a loaner key from the desk to gain access to your room. If you are locked out of your room after the Front Desk is closed, you may contact the Resident Assistant (RA) On-Call for lockout assistance. There is no charge for asking the assistance of the RA on duty although the request will be documented and added to the loaner key record. Loaner keys must be returned to the desk immediately after you are done unlocking your room. Excessive use of loaner keys will result in follow up from your Housing Officer/Resident Director, and may result in sanctions.


Microfridge and Bed Lofts

Bed lofts and microwaves (the university supplies a microwave to all apartments in MRH & TBH) are not permitted in resident rooms unless rented through is the exclusive authorized supplier of Microfridges (combination unit including a refrigerator, small freezer and microwave) to UIC students. Microfridges and bed lofts can be rented through and the items will be delivered directly to resident rooms.


Prohibited Items

The following list of items is expressly prohibited:

  • Appliances with an external heating unit or open flame e.g., hot plates, toasters, space heatersor cooking appliances
  • Beer bongs, beer pong, and other elements of drinking games
  • Drugsand drug paraphernalia, e.g., bongs, pipes, vaporizers, or other devices or objects used to facilitate the use of drugs
  • Halogen bulbs
  • Hoverboards
  • Incendiary devices, including: alcohol torches, Bunsen burners, candles,incense, hookahs, other open flame/filament or heating element devices, dangerous chemicals, fireworks, explosives, live cut Christmas trees, combustible decorations, mercury thermometers/other mercury containing items, weapons, firearms, or other items deemed inappropriate by the residence hall staff.
  • Microwaves OVER 1000 watts are prohibited in SSR and PSR. All types of microwave ovens are prohibited in all other halls unless built into the apartment or a part of a Microfridge unit (see Microfridge)
  • Petsother than fish. (See the Resident Student Code of Conduct for more details.)
  • Power toolsof any kind
  • Subwoofersand other speakers over 100 watts
  • Tobacco productsincluding cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chew, electronic cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco.
  • Waterbeds

Important Contract Provisions

Once your contract has been signed, you can see your Housing Contract Online for full terms and conditions at

Important Contract Dates

All contracts, with the exception of SSR, are for the entire Academic Year including the following dates: August 24, 2017-December 16, 2017 & January 13, 2018-May 12, 2018. SSR contracts include the following dates: August 24, 2017-May 12, 2018.

During Winter Break, not all spaces will be available for occupancy. Temporary accommodations will be made as available for those needing housing during the break period.

Resident Eligibility

All persons living in the residence halls during the regular academic year must be currently enrolled University of Illinois at Chicago students by the tenth day of class of each term. Campus Housing will not allow ANY non-enrolled student to live on campus after the tenth day of classes. Summer session residents are not required to be enrolled in summer classes, but must be enrolled either the previous or following semester. Although Campus Housing checks with the Records Office to verify student status periodically, it is the individual student’s responsibility to initiate housing contract cancellation procedures if they withdraw from the University, is dropped from enrollment, or does not enroll for the current term. However, if a non-student is found living in the residence halls, the possible consequences include eviction, substantial financial penalties, and disciplinary action.

Residents who do not initiate housing contract cancellation procedures or do not move out voluntarily when their student status changes will be subject to removal by Campus Housing. In case of removal, a resident’s belongings may be boxed/bagged by UIC Campus Housing staff and placed in a departmental storage room at the expense of the resident ($150 moving and storage fee). Items not claimed within 30 days of the removal will be discarded.

Account Payment

You are responsible for payment of room and board according to the payment plan on your contract. You should expect to receive a monthly statement from the Student Accounts Office (USFSCO) online through your e-bill. Your room and board payment should be made online or directly to the cashier in the Marshfield Building (MAB) or Student Services Building (SSB). Full payment is due upon receipt of the statement. Special payment arrangements can be made at the Student Accounts Office in SSB.

Contract Cancellation 

All students should note that once the contract term begins, all students holding contracts are considered residents. All residents granted a contract cancellation shall be held responsible on a pro rata basis for the remaining contract room and meal plan charges as well as the cancellation fees outlined in the Resident Student Handbook. Charges will be assessed on the basis of the criteria outlined in the Resident Student Handbook.

Once the contract period begins, if a student cancels their contract before the end of the contract term, they will be responsible for room & board charges up until the time of check-out plus all the following contract cancellation penalties:

  • Loss of $100 housing deposit
  • $100 cancellation fee
  • Payment of 75% of the remaining contract cost (housing portion only)
  • Forfeit any remaining portion of the meal plan cost for the current semester

If a student would like to cancel their contract, that person must come to the Campus Housing Office to complete the necessary cancellation paperwork.

Contract Takeovers

In the event that Campus Housing does not have applicants waiting to be assigned, or does not have a waiting list for the type of room involved, a resident has the option of identifying a non-resident student who has not already applied for housing to take over his or her contract including (though not necessarily) the assigned space. Such students must meet the eligibility requirements specified in the housing application procedures. No contract can be taken over without the approval of the appropriate Central Housing Office administrator.

Contract takeovers incur a $25 fee and the loss of the security deposit for the original contract holder. No other penalties apply. Failure to go through formal contract takeover procedures could result in disciplinary action as well as substantial financial penalties.


Students may appeal the 75% of the remainder of the contract portion of the contract termination penalties as well as the loss of the meal plan. Students must complete an appeal form available from the Campus Housing office and submit all appropriate documentation relevant to their situation. Once an appeal is submitted, it will be considered by the Associate Director for Administration. The appeal is either granted or forwarded on to the Campus Housing Contract Termination Penalty Appeals Committee. This committee, composed of student affairs staff, residence life staff and resident students, considers the individual situation and decides based on the review of information. Contact the Campus Housing main office (312-355-6300) with questions.