RA/PM Selection Overview
Applications for 2018-2019 Resident Assistant and Peer Mentor positions are now available!
There are a variety of student staff opportunities available in Campus Housing! We encourage you to read more and apply today!
Have questions? Please refer to the FAQ.
Resident Assistants (RA)
Resident Assistants are primarily responsible for community building and support in the residence halls. The Resident Assistant position is a unique leadership opportunity for students to meaningfully contribute to the residential community at UIC. In their work, RAs serve as resources, community builders, administrators, role models, and peer educators with our residents. As members of a residence hall team, RAs work collaboratively with other departmental staff to create a vital and engaged living-learning community. Together, the hall team provides programs and services that aim to create an educational advantage. RAs are responsible for building and facilitating a positive and effective community.
Peer Mentors (PM)
Peer Mentors have the exciting opportunity to help first-year students transition to UIC and its residential communities. Primarily, Peer Mentors work to ensure that each first year and transfer student have the necessary academic information, study skills, and resources to successfully navigate the UIC environment. While UIC is a large urban university, beginning students living in the residence hall can depend on getting a tremendous amount of attention from Peer Mentors to make their transition a success.
New RA and PM Application Questions
New RA and PM applicants are required to answer and the following application questions. Each question has a maximum of 250 words.
- What does it mean to be a leader and role model when holding a leadership role? Please cite two (2) examples of your experiences with leadership and/or role modeling.
- Please select three job responsibilities from the RA/PM position description. Provide at least two examples from previous leadership, work, or volunteer experiences that will assist in fulfilling each responsibility selected.
- Recognizing that our residential communities are rich in diversity (cultural, religious, sexual orientation, gender, etc.) how would you foster a community that recognizes and values these differences? Provide at least two examples.
How to Apply
- Review the RA or PM Position Description
- Attend one mandatory Information Session (listed below)
- Apply online by 11:59 PM on January 23, 2018
- Individual interview with our professional staff members (signups will be communicated via e-mail)
- Take part of our Group Interview Process (signups will be communicated via e-mail)
Mandatory Information Sessions
All candidates (new and returning) will be expected to attend one Information Session in order to apply for the RA/PM position to receive an overview of the department, positions, and selection process for candidates. Current RDs/RAs/PMs will answer questions at the end of each information session.
- Returning Applicants – 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Tuesday, November 28, 2017 – SCE Cardinal Room
Interview Skills Workshop to follow.
- Tuesday, November 28, 2017 – SCE Cardinal Room
- New Applicants – 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – Lecture Center F4
- Thursday, November 16, 2017 – JST Event Center
- Monday, November 20, 2017 – Lecture Center F4
- Tuesday, December 5, 2017 – SCW Thompson BC
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 – SCE Cardinal Room
- Thursday, January 18, 2018 – SCE Cardinal Room
- Monday, January 22, 2018 – JST Event Center
Optional Interview Skills Workshops
Optional Interview Skills Workshops will be held in January to help prepare you to interview for the RA and PM role. These sessions will allow you to learn how to market yourself, practice interview questions, and develop your confidence through our process.
All Interview Skills Workshops are from 5:30 pm-6:30 pm.
- Tuesday, November 28, 2017 – SCE 302
- Wednesday, January 24, 2018 – SCE Cardinal Room
- Tuesday, January 30, 2018 – SCE Cardinal Room
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018 – SCE Cardinal Room
New Applicants – New applicants are defined as students that currently live on campus who are currently not employed by UIC Campus Housing as a Resident Assistant or Peer Mentor.
- Application Deadline for New Applicants: January 23, 2018 (11:59 PM deadline)
- Interview Days: February 2-4 – Group Process Interviews & Individual Interviews
- Applicants will sign up for their individual and group interviews via email (after submitting their application)
Returning Applicants – Returning applicants are defined as current Resident Assistants and Peer Mentors who are currently employed by UIC Campus Housing.
- Attend the Returner Information Session on Tuesday, November 28, 2017
- Receive a Fall Evaluation from your current supervisor
- Apply for the position via the Campus Housing PM/PA Returner Application on UIC Connect (OrgSync) by January 7, 2018 (11:59 PM deadline)
- Applicants returning for their second year will participate in an Artifact Presentation and interview between January 17-19.
- Applicants returning for their third year will participate in a Pecha Kucha Presentation and interview between January 17-19.
Senior Student Staff – Candidates interested in the SRA or SPM position must complete the following criteria:
- Submit application before January 7 at 11:59 PM
- Applicants applying for an SRA or SPM role will participate in a Group Interview presentation interview between January 17-19.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.