Assistant Resident Director
As the largest institution of higher learning in the Chicago area, UIC is the hub for more than 25,000 students, with 3,800 living on-campus. UIC embodies the qualities of a large, diverse, urban institution, located just west of Chicago's loop, nestled in historic residential neighborhoods and the urban environment. Having nearly doubled in size in the past ten years Campus Housing seeks to develop students both in and out of the classroom through active student involvement in the university's mission. We strive to ensure that living on-campus provides students an educational advantage, which engages students in their own learning and contributes to their overall success at UIC.
Campus Housing seeks to develop students both in and out of the classroom through active student involvement in the university’s mission. With the university and department at the forefront of change, employees must demonstrate innovation, hard work, creativity and a student-focused approach. We strive to ensure that campus residency offers students an educational advantage, which engages students in their own learning and contributes to their overall success.
If you have any additional questions about the position, our department, UIC, or the Chicago Area, please email email@example.com.
The Assistant Resident Director is responsible for assisting with the creation of a meaningful residence life experience for students and assumes a major support role in providing a sense of community within his/her residential living area. Lives in designated residence hall during this appointment. Assists in student and community development, staff development, implementation of the educational model, operational activities and plays a key role in helping achieve the mission the University residences.
- Assist Resident Director with the administration of designated residence hall(s), with an emphasis on student involvement and community development
- Supervise and train student staff members
- Adjudicate in-hall conduct hearings
- Guide students as they build dynamic and supportive residential communities, including work with Living Learning Communities.
- Identify, encourage, advise and support student leaders and Hall Councils.
- Create and participate in initiatives with academic and student affairs departments.
- Serve on departmental committees.
- Participate in departmental student learning goal-setting.
- On-call rotation when scheduled.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; and current enrollment in a Higher Education, College Student Personnel or related graduate program in the Chicago-land area for period of assistantship.
- Previous experience with peer advising, residence life, student organizations, supervision, etc, preferred.
- Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
$19,500/$20,000 – 50% FTE
Live-in position includes a furnished apartment and meal plan
Excellent benefits package, including tuition waiver
As an EOE/AA employer, the University of Illinois will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
The University of Illinois at Chicago may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.