Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Resident Handbook

Residence Hall Life and Community Living

The Resident Handbook includes the rules, regulations, and policies for living in the residence halls. When students sign their Housing Contract, they are acknowledging they will comply with the policies outlined.  Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the information provided in the Resident Handbook.

Principles of Inclusion Heading link

Inclusion is integral to developing a healthy living/learning community. To facilitate common understanding, inclusion refers to working to dismantle conscious and unconscious systems of bias that unfairly disadvantage people whose age, disability, gender expression, sexual orientation, or ethnic, racial, or religious identities are not privileged in the dominant culture.

Campus Housing promises to:

  • make every effort to accommodate residents’ practice of religious and cultural activities in the halls
  • offer a safe and secure environment to welcome and celebrate all people
  • encourage everyone to challenge discrimination and be actively engaged in the process of exploring inclusion

Nondiscrimination Statement Heading link

The commitment of the University of Illinois to the most fundamental principles of academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity requires that decisions involving students and employees be based on individual merit and be free from invidious discrimination in all its forms.

The University of Illinois will not engage in discrimination or harassment against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, genetic information, marital status, disability, sexual orientation gender identity, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a protected veteran and will comply with all federal and state nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action laws, orders and regulations. This nondiscrimination policy applies to admissions, employment, access to and treatment in the University programs and activities.

University complaint and grievance procedures provide employees and students with the means for the resolution of complaints that allege a violation of this Statement. Members of the public should direct their inquiries or complaints to the appropriate equal opportunity office. For Public Formal Grievance procedures please see or the Office of Access and Equity (Title IX, ADA and 504 Coordinator), 717 Marshfield Building, M/C 602, 809 South Marshfield Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60612, (312) 996‐8670.,

Gender Inclusive Housing Heading link

It is the intention of Campus Housing to make room assignments based on how the student prefers to identify. UIC Campus Housing offers gender inclusive housing, which offers additional flexibility in select living spaces for our residential population.

Select apartment units in Single Student Residence (SSR), Marie Robinson Hall (MRH) and Thomas Beckham Hall (TBH) are available to students of different genders wishing to live in the same unit.

These designated 2-person apartments will be made available during the ReApp process and will be selected in the same manner as all other housing units. The selection of these units are made by the student; no student will be assigned to this living environment without their expressed consent to live with a specific person of any gender. For more information, contact the Central Housing Office or the Resident Director of the building.

Students with Disabilities Heading link

In order to receive accommodations for a disability within Campus Housing, students need to register with the Disability Resource Center (DRC). Students need to make an appointment with the DRC to receive an accommodation. When a prospective student with a disability applies for on-campus housing, a conversation with the Associate Director from Campus Housing, the Disability Resource Center, and the student will determine what kind of accommodation may be necessary.

Personal Care Assistance

Because the University cannot assume responsibility for assistance with personal care, it is important that a student realistically estimate their abilities or potential for the need of assistance. This determination can be made while on a campus visit during which time an evaluation will be made to determine the need and level of personal care and special housing that may be necessary.

The Disability Resource Center will provide assistance in identifying resources in the community to help the student locate appropriate assistance. However, the responsibility for the hiring of that personal assistant and successive assistants is that of the student. The DRC may do some minimal orientation regarding personal assistant care, but realizing each student’s unique and specific routine, it is the responsibility of the student with the disability to train their assistant relative to their own routine.

Some students with disabilities and their assistants may choose to live together in the same residence hall. Many assistance situations will be on a “drop-in” or non-roommate arrangement. Need and personal preference also help determine living arrangements. The Associate Director of Campus Housing will assist in the appropriate room and roommate assignments. If a live-in personal assistant is used, the assistant must be a UIC student who has signed a residence hall contract.

Each student who is identified as needing an assistant should keep in mind that competent assistant service is an absolute necessity for their success at college. The assistant is employed by the student, and all expectations and responsibilities should be kept very clear. It is very important that the student with the disability and the personal assistant communicate honestly and effectively. Should serious problems arise in the student/assistant arrangement, the Associate Director of Campus Housing and the Disability Resource Center staff can assist in problem solving. If a live-in assistant arrangement would prove unsuccessful, the assistant may need to move from that room to another available space. These details will be determined by the Associate Director according to the nature of the conflict and the availability of accessible space on campus. The student must initiate the process of securing another assistant. An unsatisfactory relationship can be very disruptive to schooling, so every effort should be made to communicate and resolve differences.

A student who needs assistance for personal care and chooses not to employ an assistant should not expect residence hall staff or students living in the vicinity to provide care. Furthermore, failure to secure the services of a personal assistant when necessary may result in contract termination through appropriate disciplinary action. If the Associate Director or the student becomes aware of a change in needs during the contracted term, a reassessment of the student’s needs may be required.

Service and Assistance Animals Heading link

Campus Housing has recognized the importance of service and assistance animals to individuals with disabilities and has established the following guidelines regarding these animals. Students who require reasonable accommodations for work, tasks or therapeutic support are allowed to have such animals. If you are seeking to have a service or assistance animal live with you in the residence hall, please contact the Disability Resource Center for assistance.

Guidelines for Service or Assistance Animals in the Residence Hall

The service or assistance animal must be registered with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) and have been approved by the DRC and Campus Housing prior to bringing the animal to campus. The student is required to have documentation that the animal is up to date with all vaccinations and other appropriate training. Campus Housing and the DRC should be updated with any changes. The student is responsible for assuring the animal does not unduly interfere with the routine activities of the residence hall, or cause difficulties for other residents.

The student is financially responsible for the actions of the animal including bodily injury or property damage, including but not limited to: replacement of furniture, carpet, windows, walls, and doors. The student is expected to cover the cost set by Campus Housing at the time of repair and/or the date the student moves out (whichever is sooner). The student’s room may be inspected for pests once a semester or as needed. If pests are detected, the room will be fumigated and subsequently inspected by an approved pest control service and the student will be billed this cost.

Animals may not be left overnight to be cared for by another student. Animals must be taken with the student if the student leaves campus for a prolonged period of time. Assistance animals must be contained within the residence room at all times. Service Animals may travel freely with the student through Campus Housing as needed while on a leash or harness. When the animal and student are outside the student’s room, the student should carry proof that the animal has been previously approved, should they be questioned by University staff.

The student is responsible for the health and well-being of the animal. The student is solely responsible for cleaning   up after the animal and properly disposing of any waste from the animal. Any violations will be documented and the student will be referred through the conduct process to Residence Life professional staff. The student is responsible for all contractual agreements found in the housing contract and in the resident student handbook. Should the animal be removed for any reason, the student is still expected to fulfill their housing contract obligations.

Room/Common Area Responsibilities Heading link

Room Responsibility

You and your roommate(s) jointly share the responsibility for your room/cluster/suite/apartment. You are responsible for all guests you bring into the building, and are expected to properly check them in and out at the front desk of your building each time they enter. In addition, you are responsible for the condition of the facilities in your room, including, but not limited to: furniture, walls, woodwork, doors, telephone jack(s), cable and internet plugs, windows and screens, carpet, appliances, and floors within normal usage. Damage that occurs beyond the limits of normal wear and tear will be charged to you and/or your roommate(s) accordingly. If you are in a room, apartment, or suite designed for more than one resident, keep your belongings on your side of the room or bedroom as roommate(s) will be assigned at any time.

Common Area Responsibility

You are responsible for the condition of the common living areas in your building and complex, such as the hallways, elevators, lounges, laundry rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and study areas. Common area damage attributed to vandalism will be determined by the Residence Life and Facilities professional staff and may be billed to the entire floor, hall, or complex if the person(s) responsible cannot be identified. Please be sure to take responsibility for your community by reporting vandalism and those responsible immediately to housing staff. Community bathrooms are required to remain locked at all times. Do not prop doors open at any time, for any reason.

Roommate Agreements

One of the best parts of living in a residential environment is the community you establish with peers. Sharing part of a living space, bathroom, kitchen, and lounge with another person or many people can be difficult if you do not establish commonly shared and agreed upon guidelines. Your RA will assist you, your roommate(s), and clustermate(s) to complete Roommate Agreements, which will assist in setting communal living expectations. These forms are typically completed within the first two weeks of the academic year, or whenever there is a change in occupancy to the space.

We encourage honest and genuine dialogue so that compromise can happen proactively, avoiding later conflict. All members of the space must be present and in agreement. This is an amendable document and can be changed with your RA if it is determined that adjustments will better serve those involved.