Frequently Asked Questions
What information will be asked during the application process?
We will ask you to verify your administrative contact information, including cell phone number and address. To update your emergency contact information, visit emergency.uic.edu. To update your missing persons, contact information, visit housing.uic.edu/dock and click "Contact Information > Missing Persons" in the sidebar.
We will also ask you if you would like a "graduating one-semester" contract and/or would like to keep your same room for next year. Please note, those with a one-semester contract must live on the west side of campus in either PSR or SSR.
Additionally, there will be some important information for you to read to better understand the process.
What if I only need housing for one semester?
One semester housing contracts are only available to students graduating in December. If you will be graduating in December, you are able to select a room in SSR or PSR that will allow you to cancel your contract in December without penalty. Currently, this option is available for residents who choose to live in SSR or PSR. You must select this option at this time in order to qualify for a "one-semester graduating" contract. Failure to select this before moving into your assignment in the fall will result in the full contract penalties. Additionally, Campus Housing will verify your graduation status in December to before waiving your contract cancellation penalty.
What if I want to live in a Living Learning Community (LLC)?
Campus Housing has several LLCs for you to choose for next year. For the 2018-19 academic year, they will be:
- Art and Architecture
- College of Medicine
- Engineering and Computer Science
- Global Village
- Leadership and Civic Engagement
- PAP STEM
- Respect, Equity, & Active Learning (REAL)
- Women and Science in Engineering (WISE)
Each of these communities has a Peer Mentor who works with the Living Learning Community to aid you in having the best in- and out-of-class experience and meaningful faculty connections.
Eligible LLC students will be asked to select their room and e-sign their contract March 8 - March 9. Campus Housing cannot guarantee placement in an LLC if a student misses their 2-day window.
What if I want to live in a gender inclusive living area?
At the time of application, you may select what type of living area you want to live in.
- Multi-Gender Community Area: This is the most popular option and has the most room types throughout the system. You will live with someone of the same gender (as on record with the University) in your room, apartment or cluster; but may be next door to someone of the opposite gender as you.
- Same Gender Living AND Community Area: Campus Housing has a few select floors for men and women to live with someone of the same gender in the room AND within the community/floor. These options are only available on East campus.
- Gender Inclusive Room/Apt: This option is for students who do not preference which gender lives within the room, cluster, or apartment. Students electing to choose this must be willing to live with any gender. If you have a specific person in mind to live with, information will be provided on how to request roommates. This option is available in PSR, a select few clusters in CTY and 2-person apartments in MRH, TBH, and SSR. If you select this option during your application, you will only see rooms which allow this living area when selecting your room.
What if I have a letter of accommodation (LOA) or service animal?
If you currently have an LOA on file with the Disability Resource Center AND you want to keep your same room for next year, simply mark that you would like to stay in your same room. You will be asked to confirm your contract and follow the "same room" process. If you would like to change your room because you have a new accommodation, please contact your specialists at the DRC to begin working on an accommodation change.
What if I want to stay in my same room?
At the time of application, you must indicate you would like to keep your same room. You will then be assigned your same room for the next academic year. To secure your space, you MUST login to the Housing Application Portal March 5 - March 7 to e-sign your residence hall contract.
Failure to e-sign your contract during the three-day window will result in your room being available to the general housing selection pool.
Can I request a roommate, suitemate, etc.?
Yes, because of the variety of room types, a student may request up to 7 other residents (for a total of 8 residents in a suite/apartment).
- Roommate requests must be mutual (meaning parties need to request each other on their application) to be considered valid. Mutual requests will show as confirmed, while non-mutual requests will show as unconfirmed.
- At the time of general housing selection, the student with the earlier room selection time will be able to select the confirmed roommates and "pull" them into the suite/apartment level. Roommates will also have the same 90-minute window to e-sign their contract to be confirmed into the space. The system will automatically assign the remaining students to the remaining apartment/suite bedrooms.
- If a roommate group would like to switch within their room, please email email@example.com AFTER all students have e-signed their contract to request a within unit room change. Campus Housing will be able to accommodate these in-unit room changes only if all students have signed their contract.
A student is able to check on their roommate request status at any time before their housing selection time by visiting the Housing Application Portal.
How can I change my application information or see if my roommate request(s) have been confirmed?
Students can update their application and roommate requests any time after applying by visiting housing.uic.edu/mycontract
You will see the links "Edit Your 2017 Fall Housing Application" and "Check or Edit your Roommate Preferences" after your application is submitted. You may update the preferences throughout the ReApplication process.
What will I need to access the system and complete the contract?
Students will need their UIC netID and password to authenticate into the system. A link for the Housing Application System is available at: housing.uic.edu/mycontract. In addition, roommate requests require the UIN of the other student(s).
Can I change my room after I sign a contract for a different room?
You may change your room and sign a new contract as many times as you want between your room selection time and April 13, 2018. We encourage you to keep checking the system regularly as space is flexible and constantly changing.
If you change your contract and assignment, your roommate requests will not automatically be "pulled in" with your new assignment. Please communicate and work with those who requested you to make sure everyone is on the same page. Since a lot of the selection is done by students, Campus Housing cannot share information or facilitate the roommate selection conflicts that may arise in this process.
What if I'm a current student staff member?
If you are a current RA or PM, you should only go through this ReApplication process if you would need housing in the event you will not be a student staff member next year. If you are hired as an RA or PM, Campus Housing will automatically assign you to your staff room for the 2018-2019 academic year. You will be required to e-sign your contract after your placement is confirmed.
If you are returning as an RA or PM next year, you may have the option to choose a roommate. Details for this process will be included in your hiring offer letter.
What if I applied to be a student staff member for next year?
If you are a prospective RA or PM staff member, you should go through the ReApplication process if you would need housing next year in the event you are not selected to be an RA or PM. If you are hired as an RA or PM, Campus Housing will automatically assign you to your staff room for 2018-2019 year.
If you are selected to be a staff member, you may have the option to choose a roommate. Details for this process will be included in your hiring offer letter.
What if I can't see the room I want online?
Room selection occurs on a first come, first served basis. If the room is not visible to you at your selection time, the room may be full or you may not be eligible to select that particular room (Living Learning Community, Disability Accommodation, etc). For more information about community designations, visit Residence Hall Community Designations.
How will the room selection times be determined?
Room selection times for students will be based on your current class status and will be staggered between 9:30 am and 5:00 pm between Monday, March 12 and Friday, March 16. Within each class grouping, access times are randomly generated.
Only students who completed a ReApplication will receive a room selection time. You may log in to the system anytime after your room selection time through April 13, 2018. Your access time will be sent to your UIC email and will be available to view on the Housing Application System in early March.
Who can I call if I'm online and I need help?
Our phone number is 312-355-6300.
You can always call us during regular office hours, Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
Campus Housing will have extra staff available via phone March 12 through March 16 from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm.